Green roofs or roof gardens are not just a whim or a fashion trend. The advantages of practical garden constructions:
- Temperature balance - during summer time, temperature is being reduced and during the winter time the garden does not let the heat of the expensive heaters go through the roof emitting to the atmosphere, especially in the attic rooms;
- significantly reduces and balances the precipitation water amount of the roof’s water collector and in the areas around the house, in the case of open water drainage system;
- improves the quality of the landscape, naturally blending in the natural surroundings of the building
- have the effect of the “green oasis” in the city, where such plantings and trees are limited. Distinguish: extensive and intensive type roof gardens.
Characteristics of the extensive roof gardens:
- simpler, more durable ranges of low height plants (usually - Sedum genus) can make cobbling paths
- cheaper for exploitation
- cheaper for installation (the thickness of the construction layers of hydrolisation 15-20 cm)
- lighter constructions 300-400 kg/m2
- using for crooked 35 degree roofs
- being used in wide, low industrial roofs, if the load of the supporting structure of the roof is limited, as well it is used for private housing roofs where the load of the supporting roof structure is minimal and, blends in with the architectural surrounding.
The characteristics of the intensive roof gardens:
- ability to grow a lawn, plant shrubs, flowers and low height trees, to make cobbling paths
- more expensive for exploitation
- more expensive for installation (the thickness of the constructive layers 20-60 cm, AAWS- automatic water system is necessary)
- heavier construction 400 < kg/m2
- being installed above the underground car parking, thus enabling one to have beautiful and functional outside premises
Schematic constructive solution:
- The cover of the plants (stonecrops, grass, flowers etc.)
- Plant substrate must be 150-600 mm not to be mixed with black soil, because black soil cannot be used for roof gardens!
- Filtering/separative geotextile
- Drainage composite for water assumption and drainage, cell thickness depends on how thick is the soil substrate, from 20 mm -100 mm and more
- The protection fabric of hydro isolation
- Tree root protection film (also available special material that combines tree root protection film and hydro isolation function)
- Hydro isolation
- Cover plate
Warning! Roof gardens require correct and regular maintenance!
Our created roof gardens:
- K. Valdemāra iela 10A, Rīga - 50m2 (2015).
- Dzintaru prospekts 50, Jūrmala - 42m2 (2014).
- Bulduru prospekts 52, Jūrmala - 1050m2 (2014).
- Ūnijas iela, Rīga- 1670 m2 (2009).
- Nītaures iela 3, Rīga – 108 m2 (2008).
- Kraujas iela 44, Baltezers – 244 m2 (2007).
- Krustabaznīcas iela 9/11, Rīga, NBS štābs - 740 m2 (2007).
- Tomsona iela 39, Rīga – 160 m2 (2006).